The Early years in the history of Abbey Wood Methodist church make a romantic story and reveal a great faith. Originally of the Baptist communion, the pioneers began to meet together in Greening Street. Numbers increased and it became necessary to find accommodation. This was found in premises that had previously been off-licensed. Amidst the relics of brewer’s advertisements, barrels and bottles, and by candlelight, the first prayer meeting was held by the committee who went to view the premises.
Here the society met for several years, eventually becoming part of the Belvedere and Erith Circuit. Later meetings were held in various locations, first in Bostall Lane, then in Federation Hall and later in the RACS Hall. Much work was done in fund-raising by loyal and enthusiastic ‘pioneers’ whose ambition was to have their own church.
The Women’s Meeting (then called the Sisterhood and now known as ‘Network’) started in 1912 and met in various houses in McLeod Road and Greening Street. Their records show they were often able to contribute £5 to the Building Fund from proceeds of their snowball teas, etc – it doesn’t sound much, but what would £5 in the early 30’s be equivalent to today?
Eventually our present site in McLeod Road was acquired on lease from the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society – the freehold was acquired in 1944 for £900! The stone laying ceremony was a great occasion and included music from the local Salvation Army Band. The church was opened in July 1934 (this is the part we now use as the Church Hall).